Are you ready to break from tradition?
That’s the question posed to Speed Racer in part four of SPEED RACER: CHRONICLES OF THE RACER, which went on sale Wednesday, April 9th. Here’s the promo copy for the fourth and final issue of this miniseries: “Writer Arie Kaplan and artist Robby Musso conclude their story of past Racers throughout history. In the Old West, a lunatic has rigged a train to explode, and it’s heading for the sleepy town of Mahfoon, Arizona. Only Navajo bounty hunter Sleek Raven can out-race the locomotive and save the town…using a newfangled contraption called an ‘automobile.’ Meanwhile in the present, the immortal cyborg responsible for the mysterious car-jacking crime wave unveils his grand scheme…and the part he wants Speed to play in it!”
And yes, Speed fans, you read that correctly: this is the FINAL issue of SPEED RACER: CHRONICLES OF THE RACER. BUT! The trade paperback collection of all four issues goes on sale on April 23rd! It boasts a cover gallery, as well as portraits of Robby Musso and I as Racer X and Speed Racer respectively (no, I’m not kidding). Also, keep checking www.idwpublishing.com in the coming weeks for special “director’s commentary” pages by yours truly, where I’ll be revealing all the hidden Easter Eggs and “geek-out” moments layered throughout every issue of this SPEED mini. Meanwhile…
SPEED RACER #4 isn’t my only comic book story currently on sale. “Special Defects,” a BEN 10 comics story where Ben fights a deranged Hollywood special effects whiz, can be found in CARTOON NETWORK ACTION PACK #24. Published by DC Comics and boasting knockout art by Min S. Ku, it’s the only BEN 10 story to date to feature a full-on battle between Dracula and the Wolfman — how can you NOT read it?
Also, here are links to more information about SPEED RACER: CHRONICLES OF THE RACER:
- “Comic Books” page on my website which includes additional info about the SPEED RACER mini, including a press release, a cover gallery, B&W art preview, and promotional copy: https://www.ariekaplan.com/comics.htm
- Interview with BlogTalk Radio’s MR. MEDIA, aka journalist Bob Andelman, where I discuss everything SPEED RACER. SPREAD THE WORD! RATE THE INTERVIEW! Check it out at: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/mrmedia
- Interview on the comics podcast HALF HOUR WASTED. Here’s the official promo copy about this interview: “Writer Arie Kaplan chats with Brad and Frank about his new series from IDW, ‘Speed Racer: Chronicles of the Racer.’ Join us as we get into the mind of THE RACER!” Here’s a link to Episode 62: http://www.halfhourwasted.com/index.php?post_id=320482
- And here’s an “Insert interview” with me for comics podcast INDIE SPINNER RACK issue #112, dated Tuesday, March 11, 2008 (as it’s an insert interview, it doesn’t start until 44 minutes into the podcast): http://indiespinnerrack.blogspot.com/
- Interview on the comics podcast COMIC GEEK SPEAK. Here’s CGS co-host Peter Rios’ description of the interview: “The Speakers of Geek take a look at IDW’s new Speed Racer: Chronicles of the Racer series with writer Arie Kaplan as well as his work on MAD, his new book Krakow to Krypton: A History of Jews in Comicbooks, the Speed Racer cartoon, writing for all ages, Terry Gilliam and more.” Here’s a link to the interview (CGS Episode 377): http://www.comicgeekspeak.com/episodes/comic_geek_speak-508.asp
- Q&A with Beliefnet’s MOVIEMOM Columnist Nell Minow, who interviews me about SPEED RACER: http://blog.beliefnet.com/moviemom/2008/04/arie-kaplan-contacts-in-the.html
- Review of SPEED RACER #1 on COMICBLOC: http://www.comicbloc.com/
- Review of SPEED RACER #4 from PAPERBACK READER: http://www.paperbackreader.com/newcolumn2.php?ColumnID=592
And last BUT NOT LEAST, for those of you attending the NEW YORK COMIC CON, legendary MAD cartoonist Al Jaffee, longtime SPIDER-MAN writer/editor Danny Fingeroth, and I are doing a panel there on Sunday, April 20th at Noon (room 1E04) to promote Danny’s recent book DISGUISED AS CLARK KENT: JEWS, COMICS, AND THE CREATION OF THE SUPERHERO. During the event, I may even talk a little about my upcoming book FROM KRAKOW TO KRYPTON: JEWS AND COMIC BOOKS. Here’s the promotional blurb from the NYCC website:
“Is the mighty Thor Jewish? Danny Fingeroth, longtime Spider-Man editor and author of SUPERMAN ON THE COUCH, discusses his new book, DISGUISED AS CLARK KENT, which explores how the Jewish backgrounds of the creators of the best-known superheroes helped make them our most familiar pop culture icons. Fingeroth, Arie Kaplan (MASTERS OF THE COMIC BOOK UNIVERSE REVEALED!), and others discuss
Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster (Superman), Stan Lee & Jack Kirby (X-Men), and Will Eisner (The Spirit).”
Hope to see some of you there! Thanks, and I hope you’re all doing well!